fredag 12 april 2013

Statheism defined


statheist
sta-the-ist [stey-thee-ist]
noun
      One who rejects religion as irrational but who advocates the existence of the state, usually as a desperate compensation for the comfort that religion brings. The term is most often used by anarchist-atheists to demonstrate to the statheist that the logic they use to justify the state is faulty even though they had sufficient logic to reject religion, implying that they are reproducing the same errors in thinking that they profess to despise in religious people.
Klippet är från filmen The Contender och visar ganska klockrent på hur vissa ser på staten som en gud. Här är hela citatet:
Mr. Chairman, ladies and gentlemen of the committee. Remarkably enough, it seems that I have some explaining to do. So, let me be absolutely clear. I stand for a woman's right to choose. I stand for the elimination of the death penalty. I stand for a strong and growing armed forces because we must stomp out genocide on this planet, and I believe that that is a cause worth dying for. I stand for seeing every gun taken out of every home, period. I stand for making the selling of cigarettes to our youth a federal offense. I stand for term limits and campaign reform. And, Mr. Chairman, I stand for the separation of church and state, and the reason that I stand for that is the same reason that I believe our forefathers did. It is not there to protect religion from the grasp of government, but to protect our government from the grasp of religious fanaticism. I may be an atheist, but that does not mean I do not go to church. I do go to church. The church I go to is the one that emancipated the slaves, that gave women the right to vote, that gave us every freedom that we hold dear. My church is this very chapel of Democracy that we sit in together, and I do not need God to tell me what are my moral absolutes. I need my heart, my brain, and this church.
Alltså, en tredjedel av hennes moraliska värdegrund kommer från den otroligt korkade demokratiska processen - precis det jag tänkte mig gick uppenbart emot en rationell moral. Vad är annars problematiskt med hennes resonemang (förutom detta grundläggande misstag)? 

Jo, utifrån vad jag märkt av USA:s göranden i resten av världen så attackerar de inte länder för att förhindra folkmord (märk avsaknaden av militär intervention i Rwanda) utan de verkar snarare vara till för att tjäna vissa politiska intressen, även om dessa kan sammanfalla med att förhindra folkmord. Att låta staten ha ett fullständigt monopol på att kunna utföra våld är helt galet; dagens stater orsakar redan stora problem och om de utvecklas till en totalitär riktning är befolkningen försvarslös. Vad gäller stat och kyrka har jag ingen aning vad "the founding fathers" tyckte, men jag har hört att de var emot det för att ingen enskild sekt ville att någon annan skulle få makten i samhället, samt att statskyrkor tenderar att gå statens ärenden och hjälpa till att indoktrinera folket. Sedan är det sant att den amerikanska staten befriade slavarna - efter att ha hjälpt till med att ha upprätthållit systemet från början. Sedan hjälper den till att upprätthålla vissa rättigheter, men bara genom att kränka äganderätten först.

Tipstack: Jonatan Sleiers

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar